View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Monday, June 29, 2009

Some Monday Homily Thoughts

At Mass this morning for the Solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul, Father Steve noted that one idea that keeps popping up in the readings is that of "rescue".

In the first reading (Acts 12: 1-11), and angel rescues Peter from Herod's prison. The Psalm response is "The angel of the Lord will rescue those who fear him." The reading from 2 Peter includes, "The Lord with rescue me from every evil and save me for his heavenly kingdom" (2 Peter 4:18).

Father observed that many of us have also be rescued by God. He mentioned various ways people are rescued by God, including from sickness and sin.

I thought of my own life and the many ways God has rescued me. One way combines both sickness and sin.

So many members of my family have been afflicted by addictions - among them addictions to food, alcohol, tobacco and drugs. I watched as so many of my relatives and friends were harmed and even died because of these addictions. Early in life I sensed the same predispositions in myself. Though I flirted with dangerous things when I was young and stupid, there was always something in me that stopped me from going too far. A voice saying: Don't. Be careful. Think of your family's inclinations.

Whether that voice was God or the guardian angel he assigned me I don't know. But I do know it is because of God's love that I did not fall prey to these addictions. It also helps me to be sympathetic to those so afflicted. It is only by God's grace that I did not fall.

And knowing my family's predispositions in that way, I must remain prayerful and trusting in God's grace until the day I die.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Though I flirted with dangerous things when I was young and stupid, there was always something in me that stopped me from going too far. A voice saying: Don't. Be careful.

This describes me to a T. My most tangible experiences of grace, generally recognized only afterward, have been in circumstances like the one you describe.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Rich Leonardi said...

BTW, "Grace" is me. I was logged in under a family member's account.

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home