View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Friday, June 26, 2009

Pro-Choice Violence: Assault with a deadly weapon

From the Chico Enterprise-Record, June 26, 2009 -

CHICO — A man who allegedly used an SUV in an attempted to run over an anti-abortion protester Wednesday outside of the Planned Parenthood office, has been charged with assault with a deadly weapon.

Matthew R. Haver, 40, was arrested by Chico police for allegedly trying to hit James Cantfield, 69, of Chico.

A Chico police press release says officers were called to the Vallombrosa Avenue location at about 10:35 a.m.

Witnesses said a man driving a 1991 GMC sport utility vehicle had attempted to strike a protester, according the release.

Canfield moved out of the way and was not seriously injured during the incident, but clearly shaken by the experience, Chico Police Lt. John Carrillo said.

Someone had taken down a license number, and officers were able to trace the vehicle to Haver.

They then went to the suspect's home on Hooker Oak Avenue, where Haver was taken into custody. ...

---

The story goes on to note that the Haver may have gotten upset about the graphic picture of an aborted baby Cantfield (or Canfield? the article has it both ways) was holding. I have never liked those pictures - they strike me as a kind of violence with which I don't want to associate - but that does not justify assault.

I pray for Haver - and Canfield.

But this also has me thinking. Given the violent behaviour I have seen shown by pro-choice counter-protesters, I would not be surprised some day if I or some other local pro-lifers might face potential physical threats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home