View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Post-Graduate Dad

As I wander about the blogosphere, I encounter any number of blogs by mothers, fathers, and homeschoolers. They bring back memories of when my own were young.

I think back to days when I would tell them stories at bedtime: when they would fill my beard with barrettes (ouch); of Christmas carolling with the Girl Scouts (and ordering the cookies!); of sometimes being grumpy; countless school concerts, plays and awards ceremonies; cheering at soccer games, swim meets, and bowling and tennis matches; the sometimes harsh things I said; graduations; camping; the morning drive to schools (usually late); baking heart-shaped birthday cakes; homemade gifts and cards; making sure everyone had exactly the same amount in Christmas stockings and Easter baskets; singing in the car; and so much more.

Alas, one is now married, one is living in an apartment, and the third is a junior in college and is rarely around.

I am a post-graduate dad.

But I still pray about them, think about them, worry about them, brag about them, sometimes cry about them.

I'll never stop being their dad, no matter what.

Sort of like God will always be our Father, no matter what.

He just does a better job of it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home