View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sing, sing a song ...

At Mass this morning - hooray for a school break! - I spotted out choir director. After Mass I went over and asked if she ever gave voice lessons.

I have been thinking about getting some voice training for a while. I sing and play with the regular choir, and with Rock of Faith, and I find myself with all sorts of vocal problems - lack of control, uncertainty about range, straining. I had been thinking of going to a local music school to set up lessons, then I spotted Rita. Why not?

Alas, she said that she did not feel qualified to give such lessons. But she said she did know some other parish choir directors who are qualified. I said I'd rather pay them than someone at a music school.

She's going to give me a list tonight at choir practice.

If music is going to be one of the ways I serve God and the Church, I have an obligation to be the best musician I can be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home