View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Last words

Pope John Paul II's last words were, "Let me go home to the Lord."

Given his deep spirituality and faith, and the suffering he underwent in the last years of his life, the words are fitting.

I've always hoped that when my time comes I might have something memorable or suitable to say. (Yes, I am morbid.)

It would be nice to think it would be something spiritual in nature. "Thank you, Lord," would be fine and simple. Or I could go mystical, smiling ecstatically and exclaiming something like, "Oh God, what harmonies!"

But if I was feeling pressed with demands as I sometimes do feel, it could be something like, "Peace, at last."

Maybe I'll be practical and responsible. "Don't forget to check the lights in the basement." Or, "The safety deposit box key is in my top dresser drawer."

Or I might try to be witty, though it's hard to top, "Frankly, I'd rather be in Philadelphia." How about, "Can this just be a practice run?" Or, "Just one more cup of coffee?"

Or perhaps I'll be Dadaesque: "Cheese."

More likely, though, it will be something like, "Oh, crap."

Good thing I don't plan to go for another 30-40 years.

What? What's that?

"Oh, crap...."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home