View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Humor for St. Patrick's Day



Gallagher opened the morning newspaper and was dumbfounded to read in the obituary column that he had died. He quickly phoned his best friend Finney.
"Did you see the paper?" asked Gallagher. "They say I died!!"
"Yes, I saw it!" replied Finney. "Where are you callin' from?"


An Episcopal Bishop lands at in New York and asks the cab driver (an Irishman) to take him to "Christ's Church."
The cabby takes him to Saint Pat's.
The Bishop says, "I said to you very clearly, take me to Christ's Church. This isn't the place!"
The cabby replies, "Yer excellency, If he ain't here, he ain't in town!


O'Toole worked in the lumber yard for twenty years and all that time he'd been stealing the wood and selling it. At last his conscience began to bother him and he went to confession to repent.
"Father, it's 15 years since my last confession, and I've been stealing wood from the lumber yard all those years," he told the priest.
"I understand my son," says the priest. "Can you make a Novena?"
O'Toole said, "Father, if you have the plans, I've got the lumber."


The good Father was warning his listeners about the suddenness of death.
"Before another day is ended," he thundered, "somebody in this parish will die."
Seated in the front row was a little old Irishman who laughed out loud at this statement. Very angry, the priest said to the jovial old man, "What's so funny?"
"Well!" spoke up the oldster, "I'm not a member of this parish."

4 Comments:

Blogger A Bit of the Blarney said...

Nothing like a GOOOD BIT OF IRISH humor. What a lift to the spirit! Cathy

6:21 AM  
Blogger David Marciniak said...

"Patrick approached Father McGinty in the communion line with some hesitation and when he finally arrived, he spoke: "Father, I don't think I like this taking of the host on the hands. I'm a mechanic and their so very dirty.". Fr. McGinty stated quickly - "Patrick, I've been hearin' your confessions for years. Your mouth is much dirtier than your hands, my son."

3:55 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

David - Thanks for sharing that one!

4:32 PM  
Blogger Interstate Catholic said...

These Irish jokes remind me of the late DOR priest, Fr. Eugene McFarland, who used to tell an Irish joke or two after the final blessing at mass each Sunday.

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home