View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Fr. Thomas Green, Spiritual Writer, Goes Home

Father Thomas H. Green, SJ, died Friday at age 76.

A Rochester native, he entered the Jesuits and spent most of his career in the Philippines, where was the Spiritual Director of San Jose Seminary in Manila, and Professor of Philosophy and Theology at the Ateneo de Manila University and Loyola School of Theology.

He was a noted spiritual writer and lecturer. I've heard folks say that one of this nine books, When the Well Runs Dry, is a modern spiritual classic. I must confess I have not read it. I've also heard that it is not a book for spiritual novices - which I consider myself. Still, I will look for it.

I did get to hear him talk several times during his frequents visits back to Rochester, and was introduced to him. I admired his gentle ways and his clear explanations of complex ideas. I read one of his books, Weeds Among the Wheat. I enjoyed it, and being a wise guy joked that when I write my autobiography it will be called A Slug Among Weeds. I even considered that as a possible name for this blog.

His other books include Opening to God; Darkness in the Marketplace: The Christian at Prayer in the World; Prayer and Common Sense; The Friend of the Bridegroom: Spiritual Direction and the Encounter with Christ; and A Vacation with the Lord.

Rest in Peace, Father.

7 Comments:

Blogger A Bit of the Blarney said...

May he rest in peace in the loving arms of our Savior. Cathy

11:03 AM  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

May he rest in peace.

My SFO fraternity library contains many of his books. I didn't know if they were any good or not, so I'm happy to hear this recommendation. I will definitely pick one of them up soon!

11:18 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Thank you for letting us know.

P.S. You would have no problem at all reading and understanding "When the Well Runs Dry". It's one of my favorite books!

1:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I personally knew Fr. Green. He was my spiritual director in San Jose Seminary. We had a long discernment on whether I should leave the seminary. I left and I am now an attorney here in NYC. I learned about his passing just this morning when another Jesuit priest sent me an email. He was really a wonderful man. He died on his rocking chair with his pipe on his chest (his only "vice") he once told me. He would have been 77 years old on Thursday, March 19. He will be buried on that day. I have no doubt he is now in Heaven with the Lord whom he wrote and spoke about and served ever so faithfully.

He was so proud of his Rochester roots and spoke fondly of his mother. He wrote a lot of spiritual book, "When the Well Runs Dry", "Weeds Among the Wheat" (he told me that the original title was Weeds and the Wheat, "Come Down Zacchaeus" among others.

Farewell, Fr. Tom.

3:04 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Jude - thanks for adding to the picture of Father Tom.

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. When the Well Runs Dry was a large influence on me.

9:03 PM  
Blogger marblaze said...

May he rest in peace.

I believe his books are also available in Filipino.

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home