View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Luminous Mysteries for a dim bulb

I've been saying the rosary off and on for many years. This Lent I've made it a daily practice.
But I'm used to the old mysteries, and for some reason, the Luminous Mysteries promulgated by Pope John Paul II still do not click with me.

I don't know why. They are wonderful mysteries - The Baptism of the Lord, the Wedding Feast at Cana, the Proclamation of the Kingdom, the Transfiguration, the Last Supper.

It probably has more to do with my stolid ways than anything about them.

Earlier today, I started to say my rosary, and found myself thinking of the Joyful Mysteries that used to be said on Thursdays and suddenly I couldn't remember the first of the Luminous. I kept trying to remember, then finally had to stop and restart later.

Mea culpa.

Who is the patron saint of forgetfulness, anyway?
St. Anthony takes care of lost things, so maybe he does double duty.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Bugsy from the Philippines said...

Hi Lee. I stumbled on your blog when I was searching for an image to include in a slideshow I am making about The Luminous Mysteries.

I want to share this experience with you because, like you, I've been saying the rosary off and on for years but this Lent, I made a vow to say it everyday ... and hopefully, acquire it as a daily habit.

Yesterday, I prayed the Luminous Mysteries. I chose a link from the NACEPF (www.nacepf.net) and was able to download an audio of the mysteries. I got so inspired and I've never appreciated the Luminous mysteries until last night.

So immediately after praying it, I decided to make a slideshow so I will be able to remember the mysteries. At the end of my project, I wrote my initials and the date April 2 and wondered what the significance of that date was.

I searched for one more image for my slideshow's "cover" and I clicked on a site (St. Anthony's) and there, I discovered that April 2 was Pope John Paul II's 4th death anniversary.

I thought it was very significant that I would rediscover and appreciate the Luminous mysteries on the good Pope's death anniversary. It was like the Pope himself lighting the path for me.

I pray that you too will find that light soon.

9:35 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

What a great coincidence!

Hope you can keep up the rosary after Lent.

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home