View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Hello Right to Life Party

In 1973, I registered to vote - and with the Democratic Party. (Yes, I'm that old.)

I worked for Democratic candidates, I served on a Democratic city committee, I later helped to form a chapter of Democrats for Life.

But gradually that Party moved away from its core beliefs - and me.

In 2007, after 34 years, I switched to Republican. I did so holding my nose. There was lots about that Party that I did not like. Some of the local GOP elected officials did things with which I strongly disagreed. And I viewed President Bush (II) was the worst President in my lifetime and one of the worst in the history of our nation. Moreover, I felt the Party used pro-lifers rather than embraced them (though that was better than the kick in the pants we got from the Democrats!).

No, I did it so I could work for and vote for Mike Huckabee in the primary - and I hope to vote for him again in 2012.

But until that time, I have left major party enrollment behind.

I have registered as a member of the Right to Life Party.

The party was active in New York for many years, but ultimately got bumped off the ballot due to not getting enough votes for it gubernatorial candidate (that's the rule in New York). I may be the only Party member in my town.

But I don't care.

Since I find myself in disagreement with the two major parties, I am content to be part of a small Party with whom I share many beliefs.

And maybe I can get Huckabee cross endorsed on the ballot as the Right to Life candidate.

1 Comments:

Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Dang.

I've heard the party has about 40,000 members currently, and that it needs to get 50,000 votes in the next gubernatorial race to continue to exist as a politcal party in New York.

What if all the pro-lifers joined it? The GOP just use us anyway, and the Democrats, well, you know.

I may just end up no party anyway!

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home