View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Day - at the abbey

It's Valentine's Day, so that means the good-looking-one and I went off ... to a church.


In this case, Our Lady of the Genesee Abbey - Trappist, and the home of Monks Bread.

We went into the chapel to pray for a while.


abbey chapel -
lingering incense
and silence


Well, there was silence until ...


a sprightly tune
echoes through the chapel -
someone's cell phone


The phone wasn't really a bother. Later, a woman brought in her children, and they were very quiet and respectful - nice to see.


After, we bought some bread (of course), and the good-looking-one visited with Mary for a few moments.

Then off to lunch and home.


Maybe that's not everyone's idea of Valentine's Day, but for us, it was quite nice.

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

That is a sweet Valentine's Day.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Interstate Catholic said...

I have spent quite a few days and nights in the chapel with the good monks. This reminds me I need to get up there for a retreat.

1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home