View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, February 08, 2009

It's the economy, stupid

This economic situation is beginning to hit home.

My good-looking-one and I are safe for now. But this morning at Mass the bass player in Rock of Faith, our liturgical "rock" band, said his employer was asking his employees to take a week off without pay. His company provides parts of General Motors, and GM is hurting now. Ripple effect.

I also know a friend of one of my daughters who had her hours cut back at work.

I wonder how many other out there are losing jobs, getting hours cut back, having to take unpaid time off, etc. How many of us are cutting back on spending? I am. Or are putting aside money. I had coffee with one daughter after Mass this morning, and suggested only half jokingly that she and her husband bank as much as possible just in case.

I hope this stimulus package offers some help with things like unemployment and COBRAs , which are so expensive and impossible for people on unemployment to keep up for long. But without health insurance, things can get even worse. (An argument for some sort national health care.)

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't think you were joking at all about saving money. It's important to do. Debt just slightly gets in the way of that at the moment. Although, that is one of the reasons I'm thinking twice about getting cable. We may just go for local channels only and save the rest of that money...we'll see.

7:12 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Ah, fatherly wisdom takes hold!

7:32 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I think there's definitely stress everywhere.
A big argument ensued in the lap lanes at our pool, a man wanted to start an argument with me in the workout room, and a co-worker said that her boyfriend nearly came to blows with a good friend during a basketball game.
Insecurity abounds.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home