View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Keep on laughing

I've always maintained that God has a sense of humor.

Lately I feel as if He's been testing to see if I have one.

Maggie's situation comes on top of a series of "jokes" since Christmas

First, during a fierce wind storm the wind caught my car door as I was opening it and threw it open, damaging it so that it would not properly close. A repair bill. Then, just as we were getting ready for company, the oven element caught on fire, and we had to replace the stove. That was followed by Daughter 3's second semester tuition bill, which I had expected but which was larger than I'd anticipated. Right on cue, the IRS tracked down my dead grandmother and are seeking possible taxes from her from the year she died (2006), and since I handled her finances in her last year and have all her records, they want me to supply them with all the information that I will have to search for in boxes of old papers. A few days later, the hot water heater's piping sprung a leak, necessitating a late night visit by a repairman (on overtime, of course). Yesterday, I came home wondering what state I'd find Maggie in, and the furnace was off. Another repairman - who found a lovely broken part that had to be replaced - and another bill.

Tomorrow, my wife, who's been having severe back pain, is going to see the doctor. I can't wait to hear what the doctor will find.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Okay. Not all is bad. At the school where I teach I had been an unofficial principal for four years. This year, they decided to split the jobs and hired a principal. He lasted until just before Christmas. Monday, I was asked if I would become the official principal. And they mentioned a raise.

Let's see. If all works out - I still have to meet with the trustees - and depending on the size of that raise, I might just be able to cover all those bills.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Good ones, Lord.

2 Comments:

Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:05 AM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

My wife came home last night and announced that she had been having problems with her car in the snow and had gone to our local garage to find out what was wrong.

She needs four new tires.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home