View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God

Today we celebrate the Feast of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God.

It is a day to honor Mary, the mother of the Prince of Peace. In light of that, the Church has also declared this the World Day of Prayer for Peace.

As a Secular Franciscan, on this day I naturally think of the "Peace Prayer of St. Francis" (even if he did not write it!):

Lord make me an instrument of your peace

Where there is hatred,Let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is error, truth;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
And where there is sadness, Joy.

O Divine Master grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled
As to console;
To be understood,as to understand;
To be loved, as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive,
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home