View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, January 03, 2009

Obama and Warren

I have not read Rev. Rick Warren's Purpose Driven Life, nor am I overly familiar with him - other than hearing lots of praise for him, and that Mike Huckabee really likes him (a plus in my view).

I have heard some of his comments about expanding the issues with which evangelicals are willing to deal, and he is pro-life. Good.

I do have qualms about him giving the invocation at Obama's inauguration given Obama's radical pro-abortion views. But then, perhaps this will provide an opening to get him to moderate. After all, Jesus hung out with unsavory sorts.

Actually, the hoopla over this has me smiling. The Obama supporters are finding out what many of us have known for a while. Obama's views tend to be shallow, he is comfortable using others and associating with people who serve his political needs (until they become embarrassing), and he is good at fooling people.

I'm sure we'll see more of that in the next four years. And maybe this will help the media to overcome its crush quicker and begin to really dig into his past and his views.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rich Leonardi said...

I do have qualms about him giving the invocation at Obama's inauguration given Obama's radical pro-abortion views. But then, perhaps this will provide an opening to get him to moderate. After all, Jesus hung out with unsavory sorts.

Warren very well may be looking for an "opening," but his presence is likely to be interpreted as at least a minor stamp of approval. No doubt that's why Obama wants him there. As to Christ, I can't imagine him playing this sort of role at Caesar's coronation.

12:46 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Depends in part of on what he says. I'm hoping he will say something.

Even if he doesn't, it's nice to see so many Obama supporters getting all upset.

Let's see hang out with prostitutes, tax collectors and thieves or with Presidents. Hmmm.

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home