View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Friday, December 26, 2008

Bishop Clark's Christmas Mass in jail

There's an article in today's Democrat and Chronicle about Bishop Matthew Clark of Rochester celebrating Mass in the Monroe County Jail for Christmas.

The Bishop has been doing this for a long time - some three decades. This year, he did so even as he continues to recover from surgery.

Back in the 1980s, I used to assist with those Masses. I was part of a Corpus Christi music group that played for the Monroe County jail Masses every other week, and we were always there for Christmas Mass with the Bishop. I remember he used to bring his mother. He and she both warmly greeted and interacted with the inmates. It was a powerful symbol of his care and concern for them.

I loved those Masses. I finally stopped when a growing family forced me to take a part time job at a radio station and I worked Sunday mornings (don't worry, I always got to a Saturday evening Mass).

The article mentions that the Sisters of St. Joseph supplied the music this year, as they have done so for a while. Donna DelSanto used to be part of the old Corpus group, and she is now Sister Donna, SSJ, so she may still be part of music at the Mass.

It's an important ministry, and presents a positive image of Catholicism. I'm proud of Bishop Clark for still doing the Masses.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rich Leonardi said...

It's an important ministry, and presents a positive image of Catholicism. I'm proud of Bishop Clark for still doing the Masses.

Ditto. Whatever his faults, this is an unqualified thing.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Interstate Catholic said...

A hip replacement and a knee replacement all in one year. Ouch!

Glad he could continue the Christmas tradition by saying this mass.

And a thank you to all catholic prison chaplains of the diocese. I know a couple of them and they are good men and women, very dedicated to their ministry. And it can be a tough ministry to be in.

2:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home