View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Monday, December 08, 2008

Back to principal/teacher

For the first four years of the Christian school where I teach, I served as "lead teacher " - principal and full-time teacher combined in one.

The school has been growing, though, and it's expecting an enrollment surge in the next three years (Catholic schools would be jealous). The trustees felt they needed to split the jobs to get ready for that surge. They made it clear that it was not a criticism of the job I had done, but they decided it would be difficult for one person to wear two hats when it got bigger. I remained as a full-time teacher, and they hired a part-time principal.

Things were a little shaky between the principal and the staff, though, and I never could quite get a handle on him. I think he never quite got a handle on us.

Today, the CEO met with the staff after school and announced the principal was no longer with the school, and asked me to go back to my old two-hatted role for now.

After he left, one of the teachers leaned over and said to me, "Christmas came early this year."

I have mixed feelings. It's nice that they wanted me back in my old role, and, to be honest, I liked doing it (maybe I should have gotten that administrator certification!). But I feel bad for the principal who got let go. Just two weeks before Christmas - that's tough.

I prayed for him at Mass tonight.

Watching him did give me a few ideas about other ways to do things, so hopefully I can do a better job of administering now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home