View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Friday, November 14, 2008

A History of Mexico - by a friend

I came home to find a package on my front steps. To my pleasant surprise, it was an Advance Copy of Gods, Gachupines, and Gringos: A People's History of Mexico. It was written by one of my oldest friends, Dick Grabman. (You've probably seen some of his amusing comments on this blog.)

He's hoping I will do a review of it. I hope to, also. It's by the bed, waiting to be read. I plan to let the diocesan paper know so they can include it in their list of publications by people with ties to the Diocese of Rochester (Dick grew up in Geneva). Maybe they will take a review too?

I humbly acknowledge a small role in the book having read one section of it for accuracy - a role which Dick in turn acknowledged in his introduction.

"Lee Strong, the former editor of the Rochester (New York) Catholic Courier gave his imprimatur to my reading of recent Church history."

Ah, fame. (But the editor in me wonders if there isn't a comma missing in there!)

Dick is a good and witty writer. Some of the section titles include "Alien Nation," "The Empire strikes back," "The fatal glass of beer," and "Body (politic) and soul."

I look forward to reading it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home