View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Secular Franciscan Order Aspirant


Before last night's Secular Franciscan Order meeting, I told the head of the group that I did indeed wish to begin the process.

I am now an aspirant.

One who aspires - seeks a goal.

The word is Middle English, from Middle French or Latin; Middle French aspirer, from Latin aspirare, literally, to breathe upon, from ad- + spirare to breathe.

The practical goal is to become a professed member of the Secular Franciscan Order. But the real goal is to grow spiritually. That is something that I have longed for, knowing that I need support and guidance along the way.

Sadly, because the formation group has already been meeting for a while - the professions will take place next summer - I must wait a while to begin that part of the process until a new group forms (which would require more new aspirants join as I am currently the only one), or until they start me as a class of one.

Typically, the process involves three stages - Orientation (which I guess I'm in), Inquiry, and Candidacy. All together, they take about two years. Given that the professions here seem to take place in August, I'm looking at 2010 at the earliest, or 2011.

Whatever the case, however long it takes, I have begun.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you Lee - I am certain you will enjoy it.

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home