View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The suffering Christ

The other morning I was thinking about Christ suffering on the cross, and remembered something I had heard before: He is still suffering.

Christ is beyond time. The past, the present, the future is all one. He is on the cross still, suffering for the sins I have committed and will commit. His sacrifice for us is not limited to three hours of agony 2000 years ago, it is now. So when temptation hits, I have to realize that if I give in I am adding to that ongoing suffering.

Moreover, each time a person is a victim of discrimination or violence or exploitation - workers, loved ones, neighbors, the unborn, the elderly, prisoners, combatants, people of the "wrong" faith or ethnicity or race, and so many others - Christ suffers. Now.

Not an original thought. But a sobering one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home