View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Monday, July 28, 2008

St. Francis and haiku

Given his love of nature, his simplicity, his poetic nature, and his mysticism, I wonder if St. Francis of Assisi would have appreciated or even written haiku.

Of course, haiku was not developed until long after he was dead. The form would certainly seem to lend itself to Franciscan spirituality. Adele Kenny, a member of the Secular Franciscan Order, wrote this one:

April snow-
the lightness of the Host
in my hand

(published in Frogpond, No. 3, 1998)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Adele Kenny said...

What a lovely surprise to find my haiku on your blog! Thanks so much!

Blessings and peace to you,
Adele

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home