View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Friday, July 25, 2008

Redability level

At another blog I stumbled across a tool to gauge a blog's readability level (http://www.criticsrant.com/bb/reading_level.aspx)

This humble blog came out as Elementary. Hmm. Hopefully, the U of R won't now revoke my M.A. in literature.

My guess is that due to my journalism background, I tend to keep the language and the sentences simpler in my posts. The aim then was to write for the typical eighth grader, which, we were told was the average reading level of genus Americanus.

Still, my ego is offended. Couldn't I have at least have registered as High School?

Maybe I need to get out my thesaurus and substitute some longer, more obscure words in lengthier, more complex sentences; perhaps a semicolon or two might help to raise the level of complexity and therein elevate my score.

Nah. After writing like that I'm tempted to use some toilet paper.

3 Comments:

Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

That particular post registered as junior high. Boy, now I am bummed!

6:51 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

Ha. I'm pleased: last year my readability was genius; this year it's down to high school. That means more people can read my blog. It takes work to write simply!

7:40 AM  
Blogger Steve Bogner said...

Hey - My blog is at a Junior High reading level. Not bad for a Business major ;)

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home