View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Monday, July 28, 2008

Old poems rediscovered

Jesus called a thief
to be among his chosen
-there is hope

--Lee Strong

Back on June 16, The Ironic Catholic (http://ironiccatholic.blogspot.com/) used that old haiku/senryu of mine as an example of the kind of entry to send in for the 2008 edition of the The Ironic Catholic Poetry Contests (the poem was from 2006). I only stumbled across it now, so I could not bask in the glory at the time, and I also missed this year's contest deadline. (Sin of omission - or lack of submission?)

While cleaning some papers upstairs I also came across an old issue of City, a local newspaper I worked for back when I was a semi-serious journalist. The poems, written after I'd left the paper to return to the greener pastures of teaching, were topical in nature:

The truth about white-collar crime
is offenders will rarely do time.
They're in bed, you see,
with the powers that be,
who'd turn a blind eye for a dime.

Please don't call them corporate crooks
because it is not as it looks.
After working each deal,
it's hunger they'd feel,
and that is why they cooked the books.

Ah, old poems, like old friends.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home