View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Al Gore


Emmy, Oscar, and now a shared Noble Peace Prize for former Vice President All Gore

Oh, and getting the most votes in the 2000 Presidential election.

President Bush has been a disaster, so a part of me has always wished that the Supreme Court had ruled differently and Gore had been our leader on September 11. I suspect a few things would have been done differently, and I think there would have been a better chance that Bin Laden would have been captured long before now. And that we would not be involved in this immoral conflict in Iraq.

But then, what bugged my about Gore even in 2000 - and one of the reasons I did not vote for him - was he began his political career as pro-life, then switched sides when he wanted to run for higher office as a Democrat. Very Clintonian of him.

Which raised questions in my mind about what his true convictions were in the first palce.

Of the current crop of top tier candidates, Clinton, Obama and Edwards are pro-abortion, Romney and Giuliani have been pro-abortion when it was politically expedient (raising doubts about their pro-life claims now) and Thompson, while having a pro-life record in office, lobbied for a pro-abortion group (money talks!).

There's also their other stands on issues like gay marriage/unions, illegal immigrants, health care and Iraq.

What's a consistent life Catholic to do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home