View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Black Irish

I'm Scottish, Irish and German.

The amount of Irish is a matter of conjecture. I could be more Irish than Scottish.

My family has always said we had "black Irish" in us. I'm not sure what that means exactly. I've heard legends that some sailors from the Spanish Armada ended up in Ireland. I've also heard it refers to traces of the Celtic blood.

It's also been speculated that the term applies to the dark moods of some Irish. Lots of great sad songs.

I will admit to the mood part in me. It also seems true of a number of other people in my family.

My own moods have led to some bad decision, and a tendency to just quit things. I've also had an urge to just leave - the old Irish wanderlust?

That wanderlust has always been countered by a sense of duty and obligation. I am a first-born, after all.

I'm feeling one of those moods right now.

Think I'll go off and sing a sad song instead!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home