View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

My heart skipped a beat (Deacon quest)

The canon lawyer looking into my possible impediment for entering the diaconate program e-mailed me the other day to let me know he had been delayed in the process, but that he was now going to be able to examine the situation.

But then he cited something in the piece I'd written at his request that could be a problem: My first marriage.

He was concerned about any possible irregularities involved in its end and my subsequent marriage.

My heart skipped a beat. Could what happened 18 years ago end my chances, even though what happened then was not of my doing?

Could my ex-wife stop me from seeking the diaconate?

Again?

I had first begun considering the diaconate back in the 1980s when we were married. She had opposed it. We were part of the Corpus Christi world, and she argued that the diaconate was just more clericalism, and that what we needed were lay leaders, not more ordained people.

Ironically, she is now part of the Spiritus Christi break-away church working for a Master's in theology, and has talked about seeking ordination herself.

I e-mailed the lawyer back immediately with the information that that marriage had been annuled, and that my current wife and I had married in the church, and only after the annulment had come through.

He later responded that there was no problem with that issue then.

Phew.

Apparently the only possible impediment I have to deal with now is the one of my own doing.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that worked out for you. Let me know if you have any questions or there is anything I can help you with.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

you are in my prayers.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home