View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day

There’s an event hovering over our heads tomorrow.

Valentine’s Day.

You know, that celebration that’s been manufactured by the greeting card, flower and jewelry industries to suck money out of us.

Oh, I have nothing against real romance.

The good-looking resident of my home and I started our Valentine’s Day celebrations early. Last night we started watching one of our favorite movies, The Quiet Man.

John Wayne. Maureen O’Hara. Ireland. A great fight. Lot’s of drinking

The movie also has some of my favorite lines in film.

Barry Fitzgerald says at one point, “It’s nice soft night, so I think I’ll join me comrades and talk a little treason.”

And Victor McLaglin says of Wayne, “He’ll regret it to his dying day, if he ever lives that long.”

But the classic line belongs to Fitzgerald.

He arrives at the cottage of Wayne and O’Hara the morning after their wedding night and goes into their bedroom where he sees the broken bed.

He studies the bed for a moment and intones, “Homeric.”

Now that’s romance.

We’ll finish watching it tonight.

Maybe I’ll enjoy another Guinness while she sips some wine, and we’ll both laugh.

(And yes, there’s a card and some gifts to be exchanged. I may be bemused by it all, but I’m no fool!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home