View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, January 06, 2007

St. Juliana of Mt. Cornillon

I have my new saint for the year thanks to Moneybags: St. Juliana of Mt. Cornillon.

After a year with a familiar saint with whom I have many connections _ St. Joseph - my initial reaction was WHO?

Ah, but then I looked her up.

St. Juliana is also known as Juliana of Cornillon and Juliana of Liege. She was born in what is now Belgium in 1192 and died in 1258. Her Feast Day is April 6.

She received visions from Christ, who pointed out that there was no feast in honour of the Blessed Sacrament. Based on this, she promoted the addition of what became the feast of Corpus Christi.

After her death, the feastday of Corpus Christi was accepted by the Church. Pope Urban IV commissioned St. Thomas Aquinas to compose the office of the feastday. Aquinas's composition included such hymns as "Lauda Sion", the "Pange Lingua", the "O Salutaris", and the "Tantum Ergo."

Pope John Paul II cited her in his Letter on the 750th Anniversary of the Feast of Corpus Christi

Hmm. I think I have an interesting year of study ahead!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home