View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Friday, December 29, 2006

A call - or ego?

Since I've said I was considering beginning the diaconate process again, several people told me they thought I'd make a good deacon and that they were glad I was going to try again.

Indeed, even before I said it, two different people said I should reconsider it.

That could be taken as a confirmation of the call.

Or it could be just that they don't know all the facts about me.

What it did remind me of was Luke 6:26: "Woe to you when all speak well of you, for their ancestors treated the false prophets in this way."

How many of these comments are based on just superficial perceptions of me and the image I project – and mind you, I come from a family of successful sales people who were good at pouring on the charm?

Moreover, my many failings include pride. A lot of it. I have been quite correctly called arrogant.

So part of the discerning process - if I am admitted to the program - is how much of this is a real call, and how much of it is ego.

We have too many false prophets already.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home