View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Monday, January 01, 2007

Another twist

Interesting conversation with the wife about the diaconate.

It began with a phone call from the head of the social ministry committee at church.

My wife and I had both been active with the committee until my mother got sick. We left to focus on family.

The social ministry committee basically died. That happens with half of the active committee members leave!

So he called today asking if he could meet with us – today – to talk about us getting back involved now that the family situation has cleared up.

I told him we had plans, but I arranged to meet with him after Mass Sunday.

My wife was not enthusiastic when I asked if she wanted to be part of it.

In her current job – working with veterans helping them to find work and get into support/treatment programs – she does a lot of social ministry already. She said she was burnt out on social ministry, and did not want to rejoin the committee.

To be honest, neither did I. I am meeting with him out of politeness.

We went out to take care of some business, and on the way home stopped for coffee. We talked about social ministry, then the diaconate.

She said that if the diaconate was what I really wanted to do, she would support me. But she said she’d rather see me involved in creative efforts – writing, performing and theater. One of my dreams has been to get a church theater group together, and she said she'd rather see me in something like that. She thought I'd be happier doing things like that rather than being a deacon.

Hmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home