View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, December 30, 2006

The Nativity Story

We went to see The Nativity Story last night.

It was good - well worth seeing - but not great.

My wife commented that the depiction of the Nativity in Jesus of Nazareth is still her favorite.

I did like the characters of Mary and Joseph. Mary, as played by Keisha Castle-Hughes (Whale Rider), was believable as a 14 year old girl - even with a bit of pouting - and she looked the right age. (Olivia Hussey, the most beautiful Mary, in my opinion, looked too old and composed when she played the part).

But the best of all was Oscar Isaac as Joseph. He gave some life to a too-often overlooked saint - and even provided a quick quip as they left Nazareth for the census that got the audience laughing.

I also liked the music, and the setting. You got a sense of the landscape - and how challenging it would have been for a young couple with the woman on the verge of giving birth.

And the three wise men were a hoot.

Overall, a B.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Soundtrack is great!!!!

2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home