View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Bill the Butcher and aliens (legal or not)


If only I had the guns, Mr. Tweed, I'd shoot each and every one of them before they set foot on American soil.

And a few other Bill the Butcher quotes from the film, Gangs of New York.

At my challenge, by the ancient laws of combat, we are met at this chosen ground, to settle for good and all who holds sway over the five points: us natives, born rightwise to this fine land, or the foreign hordes defiling it.

My father gave his life, making this country what it is. Murdered by the British with all of his men on the twenty fifth of July, Anno Domini, 1814. Do you think I'm going to help you befoul his legacy, by giving this country over to them, what's had no hand in the fighting for it? Why, because they come off a boat crawling with lice and begging you for soup.

I don't see no Americans. I see trespassers, Irish harps. Do a job for a nickel what a nigger does for a dime and a white man used to get a quarter for. What have they done? Name one thing they've contributed.

This is a night for Americans!

Thank God. I die a true American.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom.... said...

Lee...hope you have a great Holy Week and a better Easter. take heart in Jesus endurance as we commemorate his trials these next few days..........

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home