View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Clap for The Wolf Man

Halloween is my second favorite “holiday.”

(Considering I have another blog called Santa’s Diary, you can guess my favorite one.)

I’ve always been fascinated by monsters and things that go bump in the night.

I used to make models of monsters.

I used pictures of the Frankenstein monster in posters when I ran for student government back in high school (“Look what happens when you don’t vote for Lee Strong”).

I’ve written a few horror stories.

One of the best songs I’ve written is called, “There’s a Great Big Monster Under My Bed” (a favorite when I perform for children).

I know, I know. Halloween is a pagan festival. It’s a trap to lure us to the dark side. Etc.

Heck, it’s a chance to get all dressed up, act goofy, and eat lots of candy.

One of our routines is to get out our collection of classic monster movies and watch them.

In the last few days we’ve watched the original versions of The Mummy, The Bride of Frankenstein, Frankenstein, Dracula, and The House of Dracula.

Last night we watched The Wolf Man.

I noticed something.

In the scene when Larry (Lon Chaney Jr.) begins to suspect something strange is going on, he visits the old gypsy woman. She asks to see the spot where he’d been bitten by a wolf (actually, a werewolf). He opens his shirt and shows the spot.

No tee shirt.

He rushes back to his house, and tears off his shirt.

He’s wearing a tee shirt.

He begins to change into a wolf.

When we finally see him in the woods as the wolf man, he’s wearing a shirt.

He stopped to put on a shirt in the middle of changing into a wolf???

The next morning, he awakes, lying on his bed.

He is wearing the same shirt.

He opens it to look at the pentagram on his chest.

There is no tee shirt.

Ah, continuity.

That’s what they get for messing with the dark side.

Owoooooooooooo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home