View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Daylight Savings Time

My internal clock says it’s 6:30 a.m.

My dogs’ bladders and stomachs say it’s 6:30 a.m.

The clock says it’s 5:30 a.m.

The world of daylight savings time.

Spring forward, fall back.

For those who don’t live in the U.S., daylight savings time involves turning the clock forward one hour in the spring, and then back one hour in the fall.

I has to do with hours of daylight, etc. I suspect somewhere there was an economic motive.

So here is it, October 30, and my body and the clock disagree.

Perception vs. reality.

Then again, the concept of measured time is in itself a perception. In ancient times, our bodies simply followed the rhythm of the sun.

At the moment, the sun has not risen. I should be in bed.

But my body, that creature of perception, says no.

It occurs to me that our spiritual lives are prey to the perception vs. reality dilemma.

We perceive that we NEED something – a need perhaps fostered by the values of our society – but the reality is that we don’t.

Isn’t faith really about trying to discern what is real, and using reality as a guide?

Of course, perceptions keep getting in the way.

The devil is good at using perceptions.

God offers us reality.

Anyway, that’s what’s on my mind at 6:30 a.m.

5:30, that is.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lone Ranger said...

If daylight savings time is that great, why don't we just spring forward and stay there?

6:37 AM  
Blogger Julie D. said...

Excellent example!

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home