View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Steve Havill: Novelist, and Teacher


Back when I attended Desales High School in Geneva, NY, one of my favorite teachers was Steven Havill. I had him for a couple of classes, and a group of friends and I even went out to his house - a log house in the woods - one time. He showed us where he made his own bullets. For high school boys, that was so cool.

He moved out west, and I knew he had written a novel about the west, and a couple of mystery novels in the years since (I read one years ago).

Today I went to the new Gates Library. (If you haven't been there yet, go see it. It's really nice.)

As I wandered about, for some reason I decided to see if they had any of his books. I was pleased to see they had several. I picked up one: Red, Green, or Murder, which was published in 2009. I looked at the inside back cover and still recognized him. Then I read that he'd published 21 novels.

Yikes.

And that's on top of teaching for 25 years. Oh, and earning an AAS degree in gunsmithing!

I checked his Wikipedia entry. This year, he published his 22nd and 23rd novels.

Good for him.

I took out that 21st novel, by the way. It's on my pile of books to read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home