View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Friday, December 31, 2010

Responding to a blog post by Ray Grosswirth

Ray Grosswirth has a blog, My World of Religion, Politics, Entertainment and Social Issues

Ray has his own ideas of the direction the Church should take - a decidedly progressive direction.

I've known Ray for years, and while we disagree on a number of things, we have always been respectful of each other.

In a December 19 post he noted:

One area that I plan to scale back is my involvement with efforts to reform the Roman Catholic Church - an involvement that has taken up approximately twenty years of my life. I am beginning to think it is time to allow the next generation to decide what kind of church it wants, whereby they can engage in the same type of lobbying with bishops my generation has experienced (perhaps with better results).

I tried to post a comment, but was not allowed. I know in the past he's gotten some negative and unpleasant comments, so he may have placed limits on comments.

Anyway, here's my response that I tried to post:

What I'm seeing is that the younger generation is rediscovering the more traditional Church. They are following the lead of Popes John Paul II and Benedict XVI, and Archbishops like Dolan and Chaput. The dioceses that are growing in terms of numbers when it comes to laity and vocations are the more traditional ones.

And the progressives dioceses are dying out as their proponents age.

We'll see. Good luck with your retirement. I have at least a decade to go myself!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home