View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Bishop Clark on two Rochester church closings

Bishop Matthew Clark was briefly interviewed by a local television station (WHEC) about the closing of two parishes - St. Salomes and St. Thomas the Apostle - and the consolidating of the remaining parishes in Irondequoit into one parish.

The closings, particularly of St. Thomas, have drawn some protests and angry responses, and many people are expressing hurt and loss.

Asked about that pain, Bishop Clark said, "It always distresses me when things I do or approve cause other people distress or pain. Of course it does. But I think all of us through our lives learn to cope with change and pain. And this is one place where we have to do it together, so yes, absolutely."

He is also reported as saying of the reorganizations of the Irondequoit parishes, "Recognizing that no solution is perfect I encourage people to give it a try. Part of our faith tradition is that life comes out of dying."

He is right, but I suspect right now those words will not be comforting to those who are grieving. I am praying for them - and him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home