View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Another reason to avoid watching the Olympics

According to news reports, health officials in Vancouver provided 100,000 free condoms to the roughly 7,000 athletes and officials at the Olympic Games - about 14 condoms per person.

As of Wednesday, though, those supplies started running low. Therefore, an emergency shipment of some 8,500 condoms was sent to Vancouver.

Free condoms have been distributed to athletes at Olympics since 1992.

I started boycotting the Games after they were held in Communist China, a land of blatant human right violations that apparently did not bother most Olympic officials and athletes.

I guess prestige and money trump morality.

This report from Vancouver suggests a certain level of hedonism that only adds to my low opinion of the modern Olympic spirit.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that this has happened in other countries though I'm unsure if it has so far in Canada, but there have been incidents in the past where prostitutes came from afar to, well, help the athletes relax. You're right, Olympic Village transforms into the hedonistic capital of the world every 2 years.

~Dr. K

1:27 PM  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

I had NO IDEA! That is absolutely appalling...and several other adjectives as well.
I'm just speechless here.
And I'm glad they haven't made news of this on NBC, since my 7-year-old has been watching the Olympics every chance he gets.

2:20 PM  
Blogger In the choir loft said...

This is totally digusting. Like Barb, I had no idea either.

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home