View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Join Christ's Loving suffering

Part of a prayer said during Mass on the Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows (September 15) has been on my mind.

"As we honor the compassionate love of the Virgin Mary, may we make up in our own lives whatever is lacking in the sufferings of Christ."

My first thought was what could possibly be lacking in the sufferings of Christ that we could somehow make it up? Is this possible?

But then I thought: What a loving gift - allowing us to share in that ultimate act of love.

And think of the sufferings we can offer up.

Small disappointments, bumps and bruises, a toothache, embarrassments, frustrations, minor illnesses, hunger, delays in getting something we want, a favorite team losing, unkind comments, loss of a job, being mocked and bullied, a beloved pet's death, serious injuries, lingering illness, slander, divorce or broken relationships, betrayal by a trusted person, the death of a loved one, cancer, persecution, crippling disease, loss of limbs, death, and so much more.

Life is full of sorrows great and small, and we can offer them all up to help make up whatever is lacking in Christ's sufferings. Offering up suffering helps to unite us to Christ's sufferings, following the examples of so many saints like St. Francis when he experienced the Stigmata.

Our Lady of Sorrows, pray for us.

4 Comments:

Blogger FrankCaiati said...

I think that this is a great post!
It's so true!
When we don't offer things like that up, they wind up weighing us down.
Thank you for the inspiring words.
I just created a Blogsite a couple of weeks ago- I'm trying to get a little following going.
Please check it out.
www.FrankandFrancis.blogspot.com

8:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I agree but I think the brief should acquire more info then it has.

4:47 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

anonymous - I'm not sure what you mean. Brief? Maybe I'm dense!

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish not agree on it. I think polite post. Particularly the title-deed attracted me to review the whole story.

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home