View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Mary Travers (Peter, Paul and Mary) Dies

I just learned that Mary Travers of Peter, Paul, and Mary, died Wednesday after a battle with leukemia. She was just 72.

Their recordings helped to make folk music more mainstream back in the 1960s, to bring the music of Bob Dylan to wider audiences, and to clear the way for performers like John Denver, whose "Leaving on a Jet Plane" was a hit for them (and a boost for him).

They had a number of hits, including : “Blowin’ in the Wind,” “If I Had a Hammer,” “Where Have All the Flowers Gone?” “Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right,” and “Puff the Magic Dragon”



I enjoyed their music, though I was not a colossal fan. But then I got to sing with the trio!

Back in the late 80s/early 90s (I have to check the date), they came to Rochester to sing benefit Christmas concerts for the Sisters of Mercy. I was with the old Corpus Christi Thursday night Mass music group, and someone approached me one night after Mass and said they were looking for male voices to join the chorus for the concerts. Would I be interested?

After a few weeks of rehearsals, there I was, one of the basses, backing them in performances at the Eastman Theater. It was a thrill.

They treated all of us locals with respect, stopping by back stage to thank us. Classy.

Rest in peace.

2 Comments:

Blogger A Bit of the Blarney said...

I, too, was sorry to hear she had passed. These are two of their songs that I have always been fond of. Have a good day and thank you! It must have been excited to be able to be part of their performance. WOW! Cathy

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lee, lucky you to sing backup. I heard this last night and went to bed with Puff the Magic Dragon in my head.

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home