View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Friday, August 07, 2009

He So Obama

President Obama has entered the world of slang.

Some linguistic students at UCLA compile a book called UCLA Slang every four years. They have to collect the words and phrases, and do the necessary research to make sure entries are spelled and defined correctly. As a teacher, I think this is a clever idea.

The soon-to-be released sixth edition includes "presh" (cute or precious), "fomo" (fear of missing out), "schwa" (wow), "I.D.K." (I don't know), and "bromance" (a close platonic friendship).

The book will also include "obama," which is defined as meaning "cool." So "You so obama" means "You are cool."

I suspect many of those students who voted in 2008 cast their ballots for Obama. That was the cool thing to do, right?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stop your shameful assault against the President of the United States. Show some respect.

8:14 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Assault? It was an amusing wire story about what some college kids came up with. Point to me where I was disrespectful or insulting to the President. I didn't call him a name or mock him. He might even get a chuckle out of it.

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home