View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Tuesday, June 02, 2009

What else happened on Pentecost?

On Sunday, my mind was originally not on events in Wichita.

It was Pentecost Sunday, and the final Sunday for the regular choir before our summer break. I will miss the choir, though Rock of Faith will continue to practice, and is scheduled to play at least once.

Deacon Angelo preached. I love to listen to his down-to-earth homilies. This Sunday, part of what he talked about was taking part in the annual Good Friday Stations of the Cross in Reparation for Abortion - the same event in which I take part each year. How ironic given what would be happening just a few hours later in Wichita.

It was also Asian Pacific American Heritage Family Day at the Memorial Art Gallery. Amid the dancing, crafts, and music, there was a reading of haiku.

I was one of the readers.

The members of the Rochester Area Haiku Group explained what haiku is, and members read some of their haiku.

I love to hear the other poets' haiku. Several of the local poets have international reputations - one just came back from doing a haiku workshop in India! - and I learn so much from just listening to them.

My own haiku lack the depth of some of the others, but I do provide a bit of humor.

arrive at work
lunch still on kitchen counter -
foggy morning

I also often add a bit of faith.

Ash Wednesday -
the check-out girl
wipes her forehead

after sunrise
one star still visible -
Christmas day

I am lucky to have such a group here in Rochester.

Good preaching at Mass - good music - good poetry - so many ways to be inspired.

So many ways to be touched by the Spirit.

So many ways to spread God's message.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home