View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Kill a pro-lifer??

I understand that feelings are high, but this is something posted on a pro-life site and sent to me:

From: DoctorDefense

When we find out who the shooter is, I wanna see someone kill his family. The abortion "war" has been one-sided for far too long. It's time for right-to-lifers to learn that WAR means you shoot the enemy BUT IT ALSO MEANS THE ENEMY SHOOTS YOU.

Kill a right-to-lifer--any right-to-lifer--TODAY!.

This is a threat - and another example of some of the violence shown by some in the pro-choice camp.

But they probably won't make the Obama administration's potential terrorist list.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Richard said...

It goes without saying that there's no excuse for such comments. What would be worrisome would be if this was coming from a person in a leadership position in the "anti-anti-abortion movement", as with comments by people like Randall Terry, calling for the "execution" of the late Dr. Tiller.

Of course, I wonder if I didn't provoke Lee into posting this comment, given that I went after the "anonymous" commentator in his other post on Dr. Tiller.. also inexcusable, but likely to be overlooked by those of you emotionally wrapped up in the "pro-life" movement. Given that "anonymous" was echoing remarks made by recognized leaders in the "pro-life" movement and "kill a pro-lifer" is not likely to be defended by anyone, I think it's comparing apples and oranges, and an attempt to create parity where none exists.

That said, no body is gonna deny that there are some real kooks on the internet.

1:34 AM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

No Dick, you did not prompt this comment. The "threat" was posted on a prolife site, and forwarded to me. I was responding to that.

In fact, if you look at the time I posted this - 9:26 - it was 10 minutes before you posted the comment you referenced!

5:44 AM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Oh, and I responded to that anonymous comment before you did - noting that condemning the killing and prayers for the Dr.'s family were the proper responses.

So it was not overlooked by this person "emotionally wrapped up in the `pro-life' movement."

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richard, why do you hate Catholics?

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home