View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Father McNamara: A Happy Life


I went to the viewing for Father Robert McNamara yesterday. It was a happy time. People were talking, laughing, celebrating a life well-spent.

I saw no tears. None were needed.

I chatted with relatives about a biography of him that is in process - among the last acts of this dear 98-year old writer and historian was proofreading portions of it! He remained active right up to the end.

I suggested that they compile his short saint stories. They said I was not the only one to suggest that idea. Perhaps they will.

I told one relative that Father McNamara was someone who always came to my mind when I thought of good and holy people I'd like to be like.

I said prayers for his intentions, remembered his smile and how often he chuckled with delight when he talked, then left.

The funeral is today. In between classes I will say a few more prayers for him.

It was good to know a saint.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rich Leonardi said...

Thanks, Lee. Please keep your readers posted on the biography and any publication of Fr. McNamara's works -- especially the "Saints Alive" series.

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home