View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Friday, April 17, 2009

Pope: Francis is a model for conversion

Pope Benedict is viewed as an intellectual sort, yet he is praising a mendicant poet who sometimes eschewed learning as a model for conversion.

Back in 2007 he said of St. Francis of Assisi , "It's not enough that they admire Francis: Through him they should be able to encounter Christ."

He noted that Francis converted from being a wild, selfish sort to someone who cared for the poor and sick and who loved Christ so absolutely that some people considered him deranged - but that also ended up with him getting the stigmata.

"He fell in love with Christ. The wounds of the crucified one wounded his heart before leaving their marks on his body on Mount La Verna. He could truly say with Paul: 'It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me.'"

Ironically, on my trip (long flights) I reread Chesterton's St. Francis.

It's nice to know the pope - and Chesterton - and I are, if not on the same page, at least looking at it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home