View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, April 05, 2009

Haiku for a chapbook

Our local haiku group is putting together a chapbook with a focus on the seasons and New Years.

I'm submitting a few, two of which had been published before:

heat wave Mass -
moved by the spirit
and the fans

crisp autumn day –
red-tailed hawk scrutinizes
filled bird feeder

moonlit room –
the dog’s toys next to the box
that hold her ashes

Ash Wednesday
the check-out girl
wipes her forehead

April morning-
cardinals in conclave
at the bird feeder
- (bottle rockets, Volume 7, #2 2006)


leaving the vet’s
without my daughter’s cat –
chilly wind
- (bottle rockets, Volume 7 #2 2006)


New Year’s Day –
first resolution broken
before sunrise

I wonder if any of them will be accepted?

In searching for poems to submit, I realized how few haiku I'd written lately, and how few of my haiku are seasonal in nature. I tend toward senryu - "haiku" that make observations about human nature.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home