View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Father Sudac

One of my commenters mentioned learning something new about the faith from reading about the Secular Franciscan Order Day of Recollection I'd attended on Saturday.

I learned something new myself on the Day.

Brother David told the story of his trip to Medjugorje to discern his vocation. As part of the trip, he visited the Croatian stigmatic priest, Father Zlatko Sudac, who, he was told, would give him his answer.

I had never heard of Father Sudac - and I did not know there were any stigmatics alive today.
Father Sudac not only reportedly has the stigmata - a cross on his forehead, wounds on his feet, wrists and side - he has the powers of discernment, prophecy and bilocation (being in two places at once).

So I looked up some information.

He was born on January 24, 1971. He is from the town of Vrbnik, on Krk island, in Croatia. He served in the Yugoslav army, then entered the seminary and was ordained June 29, 1998. He is a priest of the diocese of Krk, Croatia.

Father Sudac received the cross on his forehead in May 1999, on the Friday after the beatification of Padre Pio, the famed stigmatic priest. He was reportedly sent to the Gemelli Clinic in Rome, where, after an investigation it was concluded that his was not of human origin. He subsequently received the stigmata on his wrists, feet and side on October 4, 2000, the feast day of St. Francis of Assisi, the first stigmatic in the history of the Church.

Fr. Sudac lives at the Bethany Retreat Center, which is located in the village of Cunski on the island of Mali Losinj - which is where Brother David visited him. Brother David said that in a private meeting - just him, Father Sudac and a translator - the Croatian priest told him that his vocation was to be a priest, and when he asked what order, Father Sudac said the order was already on his mind. As I noted in my previous post, Brother David had encountered four snoring Gray Friars in Medjubgorje, and that at that moment he'd thought he would join their order. Father Sudac's words confirmed that notion.

I don't know if there have been any official investigations other than the visit to Gemelli.

Is it possible? Yes, just look at Sts. Francis and Padre Pio. It's pretty remarkable, and Brother David is certainly convinced. I must read more about Father Sudac. Have any of my fellow travelers met him?

14 Comments:

Blogger EC Gefroh said...

Although I've never met Father, I have known about him for a while now.

10:15 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

There's so much about our faith and our Church that I don't know.

It's humbling - and believe me, I need to be humbled!

7:01 AM  
Blogger Raquel said...

I first heard about Fr. Sudac in 2000 and was able to attend a retreat he has in Chicago February of 2001. I will say that the retret changed my life. Before attending the retreat I prayed to St. Pio, I wished that I could have met him. After the retreat in Chicago I knew I would never be the same. July of 2001 several friends and I went on pilgrimage to Medjugorje and Mali Losinji and we were blessed to attend a five day retreat at Bethany House. It was apowerful experience. Fr. Sudac is a humble and holy man. He stressed that of we can to see the stigmata, we came for the wrong reasons. I still think I am going through healing from the trip. I have no idea why God allowed some like me to attend but He did. After my trip I was called to write my story of healing. So I did and My Daddy Never Died was published in 2006 by Queenship Publishing. After my trip I finally had the courage to share how the Lord used His church and holy priests to heal me from trauma and addiction. I am praying that I will be able to go back some day.. I would love to take my children and husband. Our Lady know..God Bless

8:22 AM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Thanks for sharing that! I hope you do get to go with your family some day.

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the time I learnt of Father Pio, He has always been in my heart. The most significant thing about Father Pio were not the fact that he had the stigmata, but the messages he gave us. I'm afraid I cannot say the same for Fr. Sudac, stigmata or no stigmata, one needs to listen to his sermons, and decide whether his messages in their entirety are correct.

I find that he speaks with some beautiful messages, yet in between he inserts some strange comments, for example, "don't be afraid of sin, as Jesus took away sin when he was crucified"? These and other very subtle messages which are inserted in his sermons do not seem to be in accordance with the catholic faith. May God forgive me if I am wrong, and may God have mercy on his soul if I am right.

4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Anonymous, that we should always be wary and discern these things in the spirit.

That said, it could be as simple as things getting lost in translation. In other words, should we fear our sin (as in, it is too large to be forgiven?) no. Christ has conquered sin and death. Is that what he meant? far be it from me to put words in other men's mouths!

but pray and discern, pray and discern. Overall, his humility, obedience, and adherence to the church and doctrine have been refreshing. Not understanding his original language though, and not being sure of how things get translated on the fly, one never can say 100% for certain if there is any "fringe-y-ness" to his messages. (and YES! I just made that word up! HA!)
:)

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I WENT ON A RETREAT WITH FATHER SUDAC IN 2004 AT HIS RETREAT HOUSE.IT WAS ONE OF THE MOST INCREDIBLE TIMES OF MY LIFE AND I BELIEVE HE IS AUTHENTIC. THE PRIEST WHO LED OUR TRIP THINKS HE IS AUTHENTIC AS WELL. GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME!

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Carl said...

My wife and I went to three retreats in Chicago featuring Father Sudac, before going to Medjugorje and Mali Losinji in June of '01. The five days we spent with him were among the most spiritual we have ever spent, and we never heard anything even remotely heretical in his talks. We later brought our then fourteen year old granddaughter to here him when he appeared in Patterson, NJ on one of his last trips to the U.S. I wish his bishop would let him travel abroad again so more could witness his speaking.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I fell blessed that I had the opportunity to see an old issue of "Medjugorje Magazine" in my church... The eyes of Faher Zlatko Sudac amazingly caught my eyes as I was entering the Adoration Chapel and I knew that something in my heart changed... I read about his life and that night I woke up in the middle of the night eager to learn more about his retreats and schedule for talks. Can anyone let us know? May God in His mercy bless us all! Maria-Helena

7:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I fell blessed that I had the opportunity to see an old issue of "Medjugorje Magazine" in my church... The eyes of Faher Zlatko Sudac amazingly caught my eyes as I was entering the Adoration Chapel and I knew that something in my heart changed... I read about his life and that night I woke up in the middle of the night eager to learn more about his retreats and schedule for talks. Can anyone let us know? May God in His mercy bless us all! Maria-Helena

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Monica said...

Hi, Lee, if you ever create a channel on YT I invite you to check out my humble channel, thanks, keep well. †PAX

www.youtube.com/ForFriarsandMonks

2:40 AM  
Anonymous Monica said...

About
"don't be afraid of sin, as Jesus took away sin when he was crucified"?

I would not be surprised on the translation not being accurate, I've seen some awful English-Spanish and S-E translations done.

2:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a Jewish man that went on the retreat with Fr. Sudac. I knew a bit about Fr. Pio and had read a bit about Fr. Sudac prior. Fr. Sudac is a true saint. It is said (in the Jewish oral tradition from Moses) that there are 70 righteous people that keep the world in creation... most are in hiding. He is one of those 70. Blessings of health in soul, mind, and body.

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the privilege of going on a 5-day retreat with Fr. Sudacs. He is so joyful and so much in love with Christ that at times it childlike. His talks and subjects he chose were as if each one was meant especially for all who attended. Holy Hour with him and Fr. Ivan was unforgetable. I thank the Lord having attended this retreat.

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home