View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Friday, April 24, 2009

Is it the weekend yet?

It was a long day at school.

A Friday. Warm. Sunny. Students full of twitches eyeing the great outdoors.

Trying to keep them on task amid repeated, "Can we have class outside?" "Please?"

I put on the nice Teacher tie, and we did venture out a couple of times. You can do that at a small school.

But there were also a couple of students facing consequences for various infractions this week. I had to put on the Principal tie to deal with them. Part of wearing that tie is supervising lunchtime detention.

Then I had to meet with a mother to explain why her son with a learning disability should probably not take a particularly challenging course next year with the rest of his classmates. Fortunately, after showing her some of the course material, she agreed that would be best.

After that I had to tell a teacher he might have to teach a different course next year due to scheduling (and as part of the switch I might have to give up a class I like and teach one about which I'm not too enthused). Then I had to call the head of the trustees to discuss some scheduling and budget issues, and some discipline issues than might involve calling in parents. Sigh.

Ah, but after school, some digging in the garden, a few minutes of a Mets game (up 3-1!), and a Franciscan day of recollection to look forward to tomorrow.

I need that day!

2 Comments:

Blogger David Marciniak said...

"A day in the life..."
As a person with a stressful job, I know how draining a typical day can be. I wonder how those with no faith do it? I would have moved to a shack in the woods years ago. God bless you in your work!

9:12 AM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Ah, but it was a great Day of Recollection, and both the Mets and Boston have come through for me in the last couple of days!

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home