View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Ad Quem Ibimus: My Recent Reading List


Up early, catching up on a few things before going off to the Secular Franciscan Day of Recollection.

On of the books I've been reading - I am usually reading two or three at the same time - is Archbishop Timothy Dolan's To Whom Shall We Go?: Lessons from the Apostle Peter.

The book uses Peter's actions and words for spiritual reflections and advice. The book is also full of anecdotes about Archbishop Dolan's life as a priest, a rector at the North American College in Rome, Archbishop of Milwaukee, and as a member of the Dolan clan.

The title comes from St. Peter's response to Jesus when as many followers left him he asked if the Apostles would also leave. Peter said "Lord, To whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life ...." "To whom shall we go" in Latin is Ad Quem Ibimus - which Archbishop Dolan chose as his Episcopal motto when he was named an axillary bishop in 2000.

I highly recommend the book.

I've also just finished rereading Chesterton's St. Francis of Assisi (another recommendation!), and am currently reading Anthony of Padua: Saint of the People - His Life, Legend, and Popular Devotions, a collection of articles edited by Father Jack Wintz, OFM. I had not known much about the saint, but at our church there is a statue of him holding Jesus, and after passing by it countless times I wanted to know a bit more about him. (The Good-Looking One and I also added the Italian film - with English subtitles - St. Anthony: The Miracle Worker of Padua, to our religious DVD/video collection. It's well done, by the way.)

New additions to the "What do I read next?" pile (or should I call it my ad quem ibimus pile!) are Archbishop Dolan's Called to be Holy and From the Angel's Blackboard: The Best of Fulton J. Sheen. So much to read, so little time.

1 Comments:

Blogger A Bit of the Blarney said...

Thank you for the insights. Will place them on my list! Cathy

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home