View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, April 05, 2009

Bishop Clark walks a different path

Next Friday at 9 a.m. we will hold our annual Good Friday Stations of the Cross in Reparation for Abortion. We start with prayer service and then march to an abortion facility while praying the Stations of the Cross. The service is at McQuaid Jesuit High School, where there is an active pro-life group.

Each year we get between 100 and 200 participants, including a number of priests and deacons. It's good to see them out there walking for life.

But in all the years I have gone, I don't recall Bishop Clark ever participating.

In this morning's bulletin, I learned that he will be taking part in a 2-mile "Ecumenical Walk of the Cross" from the Episcopal Church of the Ascension to Sacred Heart Cathedral that begins 9:15 a.m. on Good Friday.

I have nothing against ecumenical efforts, and I am glad to see the bishop has recovered enough from his surgery to walk that far.

But it disappoints me. I would love to see him take part in the pro-life Stations on Good Friday, even just once. He has been involved in a number of ecumenical efforts, but few related to abortion. He has three more Good Friday opportunities after this year - if his retirement takes place on schedule - so I hope he will join us.

This year would have been good time to do it, though, given the policies of the Obama administration. A lost opportunity for Bishop Clark to make a statement.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rich Leonardi said...

God bless you and your fellow marchers, Lee; I'll say a prayer for you. As for Bishop Clark, there is (almost) nothing left to say.

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After months of reading comments about Bishop Clark it seems quite obvious that he is lukewarm at best at proclaiming the teachings of the Faith. I would suggest you find a good Parish Priest for yourself and your families in Rochester and look to him for guidance. 2013 is not that far away.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home