View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Notre Shame?

More on the Obama at Notre Dame scandal.

There's now a protest site called (no surprise) Notre Dame Scandal. Go there, get some addresses, write, sign a petition.

Get the word out to any Notre Dame alumni and donors you know.

This invitation appears to violate the U.S. bishops’ 2004 “Catholics in Political Life”: “The Catholic community and Catholic institutions should not honor those who act in defiance of our fundamental moral principles. They should not be given awards, honors or platforms which would suggest support for their actions.”

Back when I was a student at St. John Fisher College, the school had invited the then-New York Governor Hugh Carey - a pro-abortion Catholic - to speak at our commencement in a year in which he was up for reelection. We protested loudly, and something mysteriously "happened" and we got a different speaker.

I hope this year's graduating class at Notre Dame also speaks up. If I were a 2009 ND graduate, I would boycott the ceremony if Obama is speaking. You get your degree and diploma anyway. If I were a faculty member, I would consider not being up on the stage.

Until then, "Jeer, jeer for old Notre Shame ..."

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:26 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

At least in my day Fisher - or maybe Carey? - had enough sense to know to back off.

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home